Still got the writer's block. Hoping that will change soon.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The gap between posts is getting longer and longer. Partly a result of no longer having an office computer, as a result of no longer having an office in which to keep it (what with not having a job and all). Also partly just laziness and do-it-later-ness.

I had a meeting last week to sort out my dissertation for the coming year. I'm calling it "Conceptualising mental health and mental illness: cultural and biological perspectives". Or something along those lines. I haven't met my supervisor yet but a couple of my friends know her and I get a good vibe, although I'm worried she may not crack the whip to quite the extent I require to get my finger out my arse and do some work. Or to stop me going off on stupid tangents. I spent an hour and a half in the library directly following the meeting browsing fashion and costume design. Ho-hum.

The first question I want to address is why we say mental health, when what we mean is mental unhealth. Or just plain insanity, in my case.

On the knitting front, I finished the commissioned piece, and got paid at the princely rate of just under a quid an hour. Not counting the cost of materials. I'm justifying this with the thought that I would be knitting anyway so it's nice to be paid any amount, and I have to build a reputation before I can start charging more. Once again, ho-hum.

1 comment:

sarah said...

Well done for getting paid to do something you enjoy. I spent a couple of years knitting for a local shop. It was a nightmare and I worked out I got paid about 10per hour!
Love your idea about mental unhealth. Having suffered depression, anxiety attacks and PTSS I agree with the un bit!