Still got the writer's block. Hoping that will change soon.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Super busy for the past few days working on my first ever commission!

I wore a knitted dress into the office a couple of weeks ago that I'd made myself, which is just utterly beautiful and looks machine-made. I had that wonderful moment when someone asks where you bought something, and are able to say, "Well, actually..."

Anyhow, one of the women in the office said she would like something similar and, get this, would pay me! EEEEEeeeeek!

I sat down with her and designed a top based on the same lace pattern I'd used for the dress. I'm making it in very fine silver-grey mercerised cotton, which I love for lace knitting as the pattern really "pops".

I've sped along with it and am nearly at the top of the main section (I'm working in the round), I have a few more increase rows for the bust shaping, then a couple of inches of lace (with short-rows to make it higher at the front than the back), camisole straps - which I may use ribbon for instead of knitting them - and then I'm done.

My first commissioned piece, designed by me from scratch, and sold for a profit. I think that's something to be proud of.

2 comments:

Piglottie said...

Definitely something to be proud of. We need to see pics!

Dr Hiding Pup said...

Well done, Piglet! I remember my first ever paid up commission (the entry's called "Kilroys woz ere") and a fine feeling it was too. Just be sure you work quickly and do turn a profit in the final analysis: nothing worse than completing something and then realising you've been working the equivalent of 50p/hour or some such paltry sum...

But I'm sure you've negotiated squillions. Does this mean drinks are on you? :-)